Day 1 - Basics
One day in, and I'm fairly happy with how things are going so far! Nothing mind-blowing to show yet, but it's a good base for me to work on.
I'm going to keep these updates fairly brief/bulleted - I don't want to waste too much of the seven days blogging!
What I got done:
- Setting up the engine
- Picking a palette and drawing some janky placeholder sprites
- Loading the sprites in and hard-coding a map
- Setting up basic player movement and collisions with the walls
What I'm doing today:
- Quick refactor of the collisions - I'm way over-complicating things at the minute
- Start to think about basic game mechanics - leaning towards trying to do a more turn-based, roguelike-y version of the GB Zelda games?
- More map elements, maybe some random generation
- Monocle is an absolutely fantastic engine! Feeling way more productive since switching to it. My favorite features:
- State machines and co-routines make it really easy to break up logic
- Virtual inputs are lovely - had keyboard and joypad input up and running basically instantly
- The VirtualMap class is really handy for defining grids of objects without allocating a ton of memory
Get 7DRL 2018
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.